Re: genetics: help with article

From: Preston Garrison (garrisonp@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 20:06:52 EST

    Kamilla wrote:

    >Actually, can we make the responses on-list? I'm interested in doing some
    >reading in this area as it was my former choice for thesis topic.
    >
    >Kamilla

    I sent this yesterday, but it never made it to the list, so I'll try again.

    Preston G.

    Andrew,

    For a recent hopeful development, see the article in Science (summary and urls below) about engineering rice to produce the precursor of vitamin A. This has the potential to prevent thousands of cases of blindness in children in underdeveloped countries. I have been waiting to see how Greenpeace and Jeremy Rifkin will rationalize being opposed to this.

    Preston G.

    Abstract of the research article:

    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/287/5451/303
    Engineering the Provitamin A (-Carotene)
    Biosynthetic Pathway into (Carotenoid-Free) Rice
    Endosperm

    Xudong Ye, 1* Salim Al-Babili, 2* Andreas Klöti, 1 Jing Zhang, 1 Paola Lucca, 1
    Peter Beyer, 2§ Ingo Potrykus 1§

    Rice (Oryza sativa), a major staple food, is usually milled to remove the oil-rich
    aleurone layer that turns rancid upon storage, especially in tropical areas. The
    remaining edible part of rice grains, the endosperm, lacks several essential nutrients,
    such as provitamin A. Thus, predominant rice consumption promotes vitamin A
    deficiency, a serious public health problem in at least 26 countries, including highly
    populated areas of Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Recombinant DNA technology
    was used to improve its nutritional value in this respect. A combination of transgenes enabled biosynthesis of provitamin A in
    the endosperm.

    Accompanying Perspective article abstract:
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/287/5451/241
    PLANT BIOLOGY:
    Enhanced: The Green Revolution Strikes Gold

    Mary Lou Guerinot

    Engineering plants to improve their nutritional value would be of great benefit to
    developing countries. As Guerinot explains in a Perspective, half of the world's
    population consume rice as a staple food, yet rice is devoid of many essential
    nutrients such as vitamin A and iron. Now Ye et al. report that they have
    successfully engineered rice plants to produce beta-carotene (from which vitamin A is
    made) in the endosperm of the rice grain. As soon as true-breeding lines of this
    engineered rice are established, seeds will be freely available to farmers in
    developing countries. This should help to ameliorate vitamin A deficiency, which is
    widespread in poor parts of the world.

    A more general article on the topic of engineering better nutrition:

    The 16 July 1999 issue of Science was a special issue on plant biotechnology. The issue included a review article by D. DellaPenna titled "Nutritional genomics: Manipulating plant micronutrients to improve human health."
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/285/5426/375