Speaking of questionable tactics ...

From: Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 15:23:27 EST

    ... my latest issue of the ASA Newsletter arrived a few days ago. I was
    surprised to see that there was an extensive article by a Moonie (Jonathan
    Wells, prominent in the Intelligent Design movement, for those who missed
    that discussion a few months ago).

    I found it interesting that the Christian Legal Society found a meeting
    room for the event reported, and at the end of the article he attributed
    its success to "several prayer groups in Kansas and in Seattle." Most of
    whom probably thought they were supporting a Christian endeavor and a
    Christian speaker.

    The movement Phil Johnson calls "the Wedge" (centered around the Center for
    the Renewal of Science and Culture) cannot have it both ways. When Wells
    was first "outed" a few months ago, Phil Johnson (in addition to the
    ludicrous claim that Wells' Moonie affiliation was well known) said this
    was an effort of like-minded scholars, not specifically Christian. Of
    course there is nothing wrong with such an effort. *UNLESS* that
    non-Christian effort tries to give the Christian community the impression
    that it *IS* a Christian effort when soliciting prayers, meeting rooms,
    financial and other support, etc. The Wedge seems to portray itself as a
    Christian effort when it is advantageous for it to do so; at a minimum they
    make no effort to correct those who mistakenly get that
    impression. Perhaps the many Christians active there should insist that
    the deception end.

    | Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
    | Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
    | National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
    | 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |