Re: Imago Dei and the Pre-Adamite Theory

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 17:34:28 EST

    Hi Dick,

    I said,
    >With reference to Isa 3:15, you earlier wrote, "had the translators any
    >awareness that 'adam and 'ish signified two distinct populations, those who
    >remain faithful to God and those who rebelled against God..." Since as you
    >say above, "'ish has a broader scope than 'adam" and as I pointed out
    refers
    >more than once to people who are both descendants of Adam and who remain
    >faithful to God, there is no logical linguistic basis for saying the two
    >words refer to two distinct populations.

    You replied:
     <<As I have said earlier, all the evidence is not biblical. The Bible says
    Adam
     was created out of the dust, scientifically we know that generic man
    evolved from
     primates. If Adam is that same man, tell me what are his roots, where did
    he
     come from, and when did he live?>>

    My only point is that there is no objective basis in Hebrew usage for making
    a distinction between the people referred to as 'ish and those referred to as
    'adam. The Bible gives no support for the Pre-Adamite theory in the use of
    these words. You have to read Pre-Adamite theory into these words.

    To my statement
    <<The phrase, "one like the Son of man ('enowsh)..." simply means that the
    person <<had the appearance of being a human being. Psalm 80:17 also refers
    to a "son of <<man"; and the ultimate reference is to the Messiah, "the man
    of thy right hand." <<Yet in Psalm 80:17, the son of man is "son of 'adam."
    So, as with 'ish and 'adam, <>

    You replied,

    << The entirety of the Old Testament points to the coming of Christ. This
     <<Psalm, however, does not, in my humble opinion. Yet, read it for yourself.
    <<SNIP Is God not addressed as the "Shepherd of Israel" in verse 1?
    << Was the "vine" out of Egypt (v.8) not Moses and his multitudes? Were the
     <<Heathen not cast out of the promised land to make room for the Israelites
     <<(v.9)? And was "the vineyard which thy right hand hath planted, and the
    branch <<that thou madest strong for thyself" not the nation of Israel?

     <<Now, "Let thy hand be upon the man ('adam) of thy right hand, upon the son
     <<of man (bene 'adam) whom thou madest strong for thyself" means let your
     <<hand be upon your own people, the children of Israel, the descendants of
    << Adam.

     <<This is exactly my point. Because you make no distinction, you miss the
     meaning.>>

    I said the _ultimate_ reference is to the Messiah. Even if Ps 80:17 refers
    to the people of Israel, it can still have an ultimate reference to Christ
    for he is the antitype to the people of Israel (Matt 2:15) and he is
    certaintly the ultimate man at God's right hand (Ps 110:1, 5).

    But, be that as it may, the idea that 'enowsh refers to people in rebellion
    against God or to non-Adamites does not harmonize with your example in
    Daniel. As you said, "Pointing to the coming Messiah, Daniel relates a
    vision: "... and, behold, one like the Son of man ('enowsh) came with the
    clouds of heaven ..." (Dan. 7:13.)" If we follow your supposed meanings of
    'enowsh, Daniel is saying that the Messiah looks like someone in rebellion
    against God. Surely this is not the meaning. Or, Daniel is saying that the
    Messiah looks like a non-Adamite, someone not made in the image of God.
    Either alternative suggests an insult to the Messiah or worse.

    Your meaning for 'enowsh is not upheld by this text; nor is there any other
    biblical evidence that it refers to a different line of descent or to people
    not in covenant with God. As with 'ish, you can read the Pre-Adamite theory
    into the word, but there is no objective basis in the biblical usage for
    making such a distinction.

    I said
    >Au contraire, Christ is called the "son of Adam" in Luke 3:38.>>

    You replied
    << Well, for the benefit of those who have no Bibles to look at, here is Luke
     <<3:37-38

     <<"Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the
    << son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
    << Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of
    << Adam, which was the son of God."

     <<Not trying to be picky, Paul, but it looks like its "Seth.">>

    Of course, it is Seth; but, the genealogy is of Christ. Luke 3:31 says, "the
    son of Melea, the son of Menna, the son of Matthatha, the son of Nathan, the
    son of David." Would you say it is not calling Jesus "the son of David"
    simply because Nathan is the son of David? If Jesus is rightfully called "the
    son of David," then he is also rightfully called "the son of Adam." And why
    shouldn't he be? On your theory, the Messiah is an Adamite isn't he? And,
    isn't the Messiah in covenant with God? You're arguing against your own
    theory!

    Paul