Re: Talking snake

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 13:09:34 EST

    At 12:10 PM 3/14/00 -0500, John Burgeson wrote:
    >While I DON'T believe there was a talking snake, if I can be shown
    >that such a belief is important to Christianity, I'll revisit the issue.
    >But
    >I don't see it as important.

    It is not important to Christianity per se. it is important to the
    epistemology and what data can be counted as support for Chrisianity.

    >Of course I "see a problem" of believing a man dead three days came to
    >life again. But that belief IS important to Christianity. It took me
    >probably
    >a year or more of studying that claim, and all the issues surrounding it,
    >before I could honestly say I believed it. I am convinced now that it was
    >not through any reasoning of my own that happened, but rather by
    >the work of the HS, a work only possible when I opened myself
    >(not just my mind, but my whole being) to whatever God wanted of
    >me. This move is darn hard for some of us to do!
    >
    >The fact is, God DID move in my heart -- in a way that was, and is,
    >uniquely
    >mine. The willingness to trust had to come before the trust which had to
    >come before the belief. In secular matters, we usually
    >reverse that order of events. That does not work, IMHO, for
    >a relationship with the almighty.

    I don't doubt that trust has to come first when coming to Christianity.
    When leaving it, belief may be the first thing to go. That is why it is
    important to have a scenario that makes Christianity real.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm