Talking snake

From: John Burgeson (burgy@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 12:10:04 EST

    Glenn wrote:

    "One of the real contradictions I find in this entire issue is that those
    who won't believe that there was a talking snake, because it is so absurd
    to believe in such things, see no problem believing that a man dead three
    days got up and walked around."

    Try the word "don't" rather than "won't" in the above.

    And substitute "believe" for the four words "see no problem believing."

    With those substitutions, and they are important substitutions, IMHO,
    I can identify with the position. Let me rephrase:

    One of the real contradictions I find in this entire issue is that those
    who DON'T believe that there was a talking snake, because it is so absurd
    to believe in such things, BELIEVE that a man dead three
    days got up and walked around.

    While I DON'T believe there was a talking snake, if I can be shown
    that such a belief is important to Christianity, I'll revisit the issue.
    But
    I don't see it as important.

    Of course I "see a problem" of believing a man dead three days came to
    life again. But that belief IS important to Christianity. It took me
    probably
    a year or more of studying that claim, and all the issues surrounding it,
    before I could honestly say I believed it. I am convinced now that it was
    not through any reasoning of my own that happened, but rather by
    the work of the HS, a work only possible when I opened myself
    (not just my mind, but my whole being) to whatever God wanted of
    me. This move is darn hard for some of us to do!

    The fact is, God DID move in my heart -- in a way that was, and is,
    uniquely
    mine. The willingness to trust had to come before the trust which had to
    come before the belief. In secular matters, we usually
    reverse that order of events. That does not work, IMHO, for
    a relationship with the almighty.

    Burgy