Re: Chimps, sin, Adam and Christ

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 21:58:35 EST

    glenn morton wrote:
    > No, the Muslims beleive that Jesus died on the cross. They have little
    > doubt about that. The differences are in who Jesus was, and did he arise. I
    > have muslims in my extended family.

            This is incorrect. See, e.g., Sura IV of Qur'an, vv.157-158 (in Abdullah Yusuf
    Ali's translation):
            [The Jews have incurred divine displeasure in] ...
            "That they said (in boast)
            'We killed Christ Jesus
            The son of Mary,
            The Apostle of God'; -
            But they killed him not,
            Nor crucified him,
            But so it was made
            To appear to them,
            And those who differ
            Therein are full of doubts,
            With no (certain) knowledge,
            But only conjecture to follow,
            For of a surety
            They killed him not: -

            Nay, God raised him up
            Unto Himself; and God
            Is Exalted in Power, Wise; - "

            The translator includes footnotes explaining the Muslim understanding of these
    verses. For more detail see the book of the Nigerian Muslim A.D. Ajijola, _The Myth of
    the Cross_ (Kazi, Chicago, 1979).

            Anybody can believe in a risen God. A crucified God is quite another matter.

    > The problem with this last sentence is that what you are doing isn't going
    > to help people like Provine, Wells, E.O. Wilson, my former boss etc. They
    > are well aware of the attempts to make christianity true without connecting
    > it to history. They find it less than acceptable.

    > You can have the last word. It is time to put this one to bed.

            The last word that I'll have here is that, as I have emphasized many many times,
    I have no interest in trying "to make christianity true without connecting it to
    history". You said earlier that you weren't trying to caricature my views but if this
    is supposed to be descriptive of them then caricature is the only thing I can call it.

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/