Re: ID:philosophy or scientific theory?

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 10:50:21 EST

    George Andrews wrote:

    > George Murphy wrote:
    >
    > > The idea "that Christ had to pay the penalty for sin" is one of at least a dozen
    > > "theories of the atonement" which have been held within Christianity. This particular
    > > one has been very influential in the western church but no one theory has dogmatic
    > > status. Most of them have been held by Christians who assumed Genesis 3 to be an
    > > historical account of what happened with the first humans, but could also be held with
    > > small variations by those who don't.
    > > There are a number of ways of understanding the work of Christ & while some of
    > > them may be commonly expressed in terms of a literal interpretation of Genesis 3, they
    > > are not really dependent upon that. So one can't start from what Christ did & argue
    > > back unambiguously to a knowledge of how sin originated.
    > > Shalom,
    > > George
    >
    > This came up (in writing) in a recent Christian Faculty lunch at William and Mary just last week. A
    > sermon by Dr. James Kennedy (Jan. 1983) was handed out in which, among other claims, he proclaims
    > that "...it is well known that evolution makes the entire mission of Jesus Christ superfluous;" and
    > again "If evolution is true then that whole idea of redemption is false and Christ came for naught;
    > and Christianity is therefore, untrue." These are serious charges.
    >
    > Who are the theologians who are working out the theological ramifications of theistic evolution? (I
    > guess I should visit George's web site ... ok, I will :-) )

            I love the "It is well known ..." technique of intellectual intimidation. It's
    much easier to make boomy global claims than to do the nitty-gritty theological work.
            A few worthwhile books addressing the topic (besides my own out-of-print _The
    Trademark of God_, which I _think_ is worthwhile)
            Denis Edwards, _The God of Evolution_ (Paulist)
            Philip Hefner, _The Human Factor_ (Fortress)
            Karl Schmitz-Moormann and James F. Salmon, _Theology of Creation in an
                    Evolutionary World_ (Pilgrim)
                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy