Re: ID:philosophy or scientific theory?

From: Charles F. Austerberry (cfauster@creighton.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 17:29:34 EST

    Thanks, Bert. Though I disagree with you and Johnson about the
    implications of MN, I really appreciate the clarity of your writing on
    this.

    Someone once told me that a good scientist needs to possess two character
    traits that non-scientists often mistakenly assume would be contradictory:

    1) A greater than average desire to have explanations for things, and thus
    a greater than average discomfort when no good (verifiable) explanations
    exist.

    2) A greater than average ability to accept the fact that we don't have
    good explanations for everything, and thus a greater than average ability
    to wait for (and patiently pursue) verifiable explanations rather than
    resort to unsubstantiated opinions.

    Faith in the triune God (including God as Creator) is more than an
    unsubstantiated opinion. IC and ID are unsubstantiated opinions (in my
    opinion! :). Evolution, as I use the term, is a theory that suggests
    several hypotheses, some of which are testable, and some of which have
    passed lots of tests already. I've also seen some statements made in the
    name of evolution that are indeed nothing more than unsubstantiated
    opinions.

    Best wishes.

    Chuck Austerberry
    cfauster@creighton.edu