Re: ID:philosophy or scientific theory?

From: Massie (mrlab@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 15:03:15 EST

    Charles F. Austerberry wrote:

    > Bert Massie wrote (I'm selecting some portions):
    >
    > >. . . perhaps my view is different from the classic ID view.
    > >
    > >I do not contend that irreducible complexity etc. "prove" the existence
    > >of a designer. What I think it does do is point to a lack of
    > >explanatory power of the current scientific theories. In point I think
    > >it says that current scientific thinking is profoundly inadequate.
    > >Therefore:
    > >
    > >We cannot assert (philosophically) that we do not need an intelligent
    > >designer because the science can give us support from a materialistic
    > >only paradaigm.
    >
    > >If one then accepts that current materialistic only thinking can't do
    > >the job what would be the best proposal for understanding origins?
    > >
    > >ID is not a scientific theory it is a philosophical conclusion from an
    > >arguement that current scientific theories are inadequate.
    > >
    > >I do not have evidence of an ID outside of my understanding of the
    > >revelations of God as understood from the scripture.
    > >
    > >Irreducible complexity does not tell us that a God exists but it does
    > >make the material process only explanation hard to accept and leaves one
    > >to search for another explanation.
    > >

    > I like Bert's position much better than the ID position I usually hear. I
    > agree with every one of the above statements, except I think scientific
    > thinking about the really big, open, tough questions (like the origins of
    > life's complexity) may always be "profoundly inadequate," or at least will
    > be for a long, long time. Is it because evolutionary biologists using
    > "current materialistic-only thinking" are going down the wrong path, or is
    > it because they've just barely started down the right path? I don't think
    > we can tell. Nonetheless, science will proceed down some path. Are there
    > any ground rules for how to proceed? How about methodological naturalism?
    > Is MN necessarily anti-ID, if we agree with Bert that ID is a philosophical
    > position? I don't think so. Unfortunately, Behe and other ID folks seem
    > to think so; they claim that ID is based on scientific evidence, and they
    > clearly present it as an alternative to other scientific theories like
    > evolution. Johnson and Behe and other ID proponents are at their best when
    > they ferret out non-scientific *philosophical* materialism /naturalism, and
    > they don't have to look very hard to find such statements being made by
    > Sagan, Dawkins, Dennett, Provine, Wilson, etc. But, then they go on and
    > say that the lack of detailed, proven, gradual, step-by-step evolutionary
    > explanations for complex systems and structures means that those systems
    > and structure "must have been" (or "most probably were") "intelligently
    > designed" in a special manner unlike the origins of other systems and
    > structures that they say show no evidence of being "intelligently designed."
    >
    > If only the ID folks would say "could have been" instead of "must have
    > been" or "most probably were," and if only the evolutionists would do
> [...]
    ****************
    Hard to disagree with someone who agrees with me and let me compliment
    you on your wisdom to do so.

    I do believe the IC leads to a best explanation being a ID but I
    position this as a best explanation as opposed to a requirement.
    Indeed, MN is an insertion of philosophy into science and in that since
    I do agree with Johnson that MN intrudes where it ought not and prevails
    to the point where if a genetic code was translated to say JESUS SAVES
    it would be considered a statistical fluke.

    IC fairly understood leads to a scientific conclusion that there is no
    current scientific explanation. Nature and scientists hate a vacuum and
    as is well spoken in the history of science literature this is not
    allowable. How often have I heard "Well, what are going to believe,
    some kind of God thing." "Well, yes, and so should you."

    Bert M