Re: ID and Genesis Reconsidered

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 12:11:44 EST

    Looking for papers related to bivalve evolution, I ran across something
    relevant to the irreducible complexity issue. Melendez-Hevia, Waddell, and
    Cascante. 1996. The puzzle of the Krebs citric acid cycle: assembling the
    pieces of chemically feasible reactions, and opportunism in the design of
    metabolic pathways during evolution. Journal of Molecular Evolution,
    43:293-303. The discussion of the mechanisms and functionality of the
    intermediates is sufficiantly detailed to require more review of organic
    chemistry than I am inclined to until after my dissertation is turned in.
    They also cite assorted previous papers on the evolution of this and other
    complex biochemical cycles such as the Calvin cycle.

    Given the progress being made in molecular biology, I suspect that the gaps
    will generally be narrowing if not closing. Thus, it is particularly
    important to emphasize that everything is intelligently designed in the
    sense that God created it, whatever the means. Whether irreducible
    complexity is real ought to be a debate about God's methods, not an
    apologetic issue.

    David C.