Re: Imago Dei

From: Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 23:51:12 EST

    Paul Seely wrote:

    >Gen 1:26 says, "Then God said, 'Let us make man ("adam") in our image, in
    our
    >likeness, and let THEM rule over the fish of the sea, etc." What THEM? The
    >only antecedent is "adam"--- which can mean "humankind" as in Ex 13:13 and
    15
    >"first-born of adam."

    Let's start with Exod 13:1-2: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    Sanctify
    unto me all the firstborn, whatsoever openeth the womb among the children of
    Israel,
    both of man and of beast: it is mine." Who is the message for, humankind or
    the
    children of Israel?

    Also, another rule of Hebrew grammar comes in to play. When it is "man and
    beast," man is always 'adam. This applies in Exod 13:15: "... firstborn of
    man,
    and
    the firstborn of beast ..." Again, 'adam is the word for man simply
    because it
    is in
    conjunction with beast. In this case it has no bearing on line of ancestry.

    >Since 1:27 says God created not simply "adam", but "THE adam" and since an
    >article is not used before a name, the meaning of "adam" in 1:27 is not the
    >one man Adam, but humankind.

    Or Adam's kind. I would prefer the word "Adamite," but the KJV translators
    avoided it.

    >Since the "them" in 1:27 are blessed in verse
    >28 and told to rule over the fish, etc, the same task given to the "them" in
    >1:26, the "them" in both verses refers to the same entity, namely
    >humankind-both female and male. As it says in Gen 5:2 "male and female
    >created he_them_, and blessed _them_, and called THEIR name "Adam"…"

    I agree. All of Adam's kind bear his name. They are in the line of Adam.
    You

    can see this in Ezekiel where he is called "bene 'adam" repeatedly although
    the
    translators copped out and called him "son of man."

    >Similarly, Gen 9:6 says not simply that "adam" was made in the image of God,
    >but "for in the image of God he made "THE man" that is, humankind.

    This is Gen 9:6: "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed:
    for in the image of God made he man." I see it this way: "You are a chosen
    race,
    you are in the line of Adam and were intended to represent me. If you slay
    another
    of your own kind, you will be slain in return."

    If you substitute "humankind" in this verse then what was Joshua doing
    knuckling
    the heads of his neighbors at God's urging?

    >In addition, the covenant that God made after the flood (Gen 9;12-17) was
    not
    >made simply with "God's chosen" as you said, but with "all living creatures
    >of every kind." That is, as 9:15 says, "with all life on earth." That
    would
    >certainly include all human beings.

    Here is Gen. 9:12: "And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I
    make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for
    perpetual
    generations ..." The covenant was for the animals and the offspring of those
    animals that had to suffer seasickness for a year riding with Noah. That
    would

    include no human beings other than Noah, his wife, his sons and their wives,
    and
    their future generations.

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."