Re: "Genesis Reconsidered"

From: Massie (mrlab@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 18:12:42 EST

    Joel Z Bandstra wrote:

    > Bert M wrote the following at the end of his recent post:
    >
    > One could argue quite differently. To deny irreducible complexity and
    > the like is really denying a very obvious observation and to me this is
    > not the issue. Ghe support for avoiding the intelligent designer is to
    > argue that unknown physical principles yet to be discovered will
    > ultimately explaim these complex things. Thus, the arguement against ID
    > is to argue that there are yet to be found physical laws which when
    > discovered will clear all this up.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > I call it "the science of the gaps" and "faith of our (materialistic)
    > fathers."
    >
    > My comment/question:
    > Does this proposition lead to a "god of the gaps"? Should we rely on God
    > to explain the physical phenomena that have yet to be explained in some
    > sort of scientific fashion? I don't think so. It seems to me that God
    > fits just as well into understood phenomena as into phenomena that remain
    > mysterious. God is just as much the God of origins as he is the God of
    > space-time, of thermodynamics, of brownian motion.

    Quite to the contrary. ID argues that there is no reasonable exptation
    of a yet undiscoverd scientific principle of organization of information
    of this complexity from chaos and therefore we need a God. This is not
    about filling in God where we just do not know something.

    However, the other side feels that any attempt to posit that information
    came from a non-physical source is a vain attempt to insert God of the
    gaps.

    Bert M