Re: "Genesis Reconsidered"

From: Charles F. Austerberry (cfauster@creighton.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 12:08:02 EST

    Well said, Howard. And thanks for reminding me of the proper term
    (concordism). I appreciate your many thoughtful articles and notes, both
    those in print and those sent via the internet like this. In particular,
    you've made the theological case that we should expect God's creation to be
    complete and not require "intervention" (you coined a good phrase for that,
    but I can't recall it right now). I feel that's most likely true.

    Since I'm not as theologically schooled as you, I don't criticize the view
    that maybe God does intervene and create supernaturally sometimes (not just
    in the theologically important, revelatory miracles in the Bible that we
    all accept, but also, for example, in the creation of the first living
    cell). I refrain from criticizing such a view because science itself can't
    rule out the supernatural. Our ignorance of how the first living cell
    arose logically allows for the possibility that it happened in a manner
    that in principle could never be explained by natural science. But,
    so-called *scientific* theories invoking "intelligent design" are flawed
    for the simple reason that science also can't tell us when all possible
    natural explanations have been exhausted. We should readily admit that we
    can't even imagine a plausible natural explanation for some things. To
    assert that no plausible natural explanation could ever exist in such
    cases, however, would be presumptuous. How can we dismiss all natural
    causes when we don't even know what we are dismissing? The lack of a
    plausible natural explanation would constitute evidence for "intelligent
    design" only if we could somehow know that we've imagined, analyzed, and
    eliminated all of the "non-design" alternatives. In his Letter to the
    Grand Duchess Christina Galileo articulated a perspective that remains as
    valid today as it was in 1615:

    Who will assert that everything in the universe capable of being perceived
    is already discovered and known? Let us rather confess quite truly that
    "Those truths which we do know are very few in comparison with those which
    we do not know."

    I know this foray into ID theory is a bit off the topic of Held and Rust's
    article, but I also note that in that article they briefly attack
    evolution, and seem to unquestioningly accept Behe's "irreducible
    complexity" argument. The attraction (to others) of concordism and of
    intelligent design theory must be the same to some degree.

    I'm reading John Haught's "God after Darwin." I think you'd like it,
    Howard. I'm curious what you think of it, and what others on the listserv
    think of it.

    Best wishes.

    Chuck Austerberry
    cfauster@creighton.edu