Re: "Genesis Reconsidered"

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 15:53:08 EST

    Chuck,

    Thanks for your comments. I'll pick a few for continuing the conversation.

    > I don't criticize the view
    > that maybe God does intervene and create supernaturally sometimes ....
    > I refrain from criticizing such a view because science itself can't
    > rule out the supernatural. Our ignorance of how the first living cell
    > arose logically allows for the possibility that it happened in a manner
    > that in principle could never be explained by natural science.

    Correct. I presume that God is able to act in any way that is consistent
    with God's being and will. That's why I do not offer the "fully-gifted
    creation" perspective or the "robust formational economy principle" as
    theses that can be empirically or logically proved, but as concepts that I
    am inclined to hold (with the required tentativeness) for various
    theological and evidential reasons, even if some are necessarily
    circumstantial.

    > So-called *scientific* theories invoking "intelligent design" are flawed
    > for the simple reason that science also can't tell us when all possible
    > natural explanations have been exhausted. We should readily admit that we
    > can't even imagine a plausible natural explanation for some things. To
    > assert that no plausible natural explanation could ever exist in such
    > cases, however, would be presumptuous. How can we dismiss all natural
    > causes when we don't even know what we are dismissing? The lack of a
    > plausible natural explanation would constitute evidence for "intelligent
    > design" only if we could somehow know that we've imagined, analyzed, and
    > eliminated all of the "non-design" alternatives.

    Well said. I heartily agree. [I assume here that you, as do I, see ID as a
    set of claims that certain structures or forms could not have come to be
    formed 'naturally' (that is, by the use of their God-given capabilities) but
    must have been assembled (at least the first time) by the form-imposing
    action of some unnamed extra-natural agent.]

    Howard Van Till