Quoting White

From: Ted Davis (TDavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 09:24:36 EST

    Once again, AD White has been quoted on a religion/science subject in this
    forum. I've talked about this before, but I really must protest against
    virtually any use of AD White without a critical analysis: he's almost
    always dead wrong in his interpretation of the "facts" he gives, and often
    his "facts" are wrong also. Glenn Morton's recent post on the antipodes
    entirely overlooks the fact that the ancient Greek writers orginated the
    idea of the uninhabitability of the torrid zone (as they called it), and
    that Augustine was simply reflecting good science in his day. And it wasn't
    Magellan who provided the evidence against it, it was earlier Portuguese
    navigators who circumnavigated Africa--events that led later to the slave
    trade. Above all, it is the absurdly biased tone of White's discussion that
    utterly defeats its use as a scholarly source. He's just entirely unwilling
    to put events into their context, and to realize that church writers are
    using good science from their day. He wouldn't get tenure at a decent
    university if he were working today without a change in attitude.

    So, PLEASE stop quoting this guy.

    Ted Davis