Re: Exceptional Measures

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 08:19:16 -0500

Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:
> If you can see God's
> wisdom, power, and glory in this, good for you. I would guess, though, that
> you present some circular arguments and that it is unlikely that it will
> bring (m)any to realize the saving power of Jesus's death on the cross.
> But, God does work in mysterious ways. ...................................
I think a general caution about the idea in the first sentence is in order.
I appreciate the sentiment, but unfortunately people can see "God's" - i.e., whatever
God they believe in - wisdom, power, & glory in all sorts of strange things. There
are people who imagine that they're "Christian" who think that God's power would be
displayed in exterminating one or another ethnic group.
I am NOT NOT NOT saying that anyone in this discussion has such ideas: That is
simply a _reductio ad absurdum_ of the theory that it's good if anyone thinks they see
God's wisdom &c in anything at all. In fact, as Chuck points out - & as the Gospel of
John & I Cor.1:18-31 make clear - the real God's wisdom, power, & glory are shown in
Christ crucified, & any of our ideas about those things have to be tested against that
standard.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy