Re: Observer/ Vatican theologians say 'prudent yes' to GM foods

Guy Blanchet (guyblanchet@sympatico.ca)
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 06:23:15 -0400

Mr. Pearson,

As formidable an institution as the Catholic Church with its pope
may be, I
would exhort anyone to exercise caution before adopting any of its
points of
view. To say that genetic modification of plants and animals is
theologically
acceptable raises one important question for Christians: are we to say
that when
God commented that His creation was good, He did not have the foresight
to know
that life on earth would be rough to the point where man would have to
step in
and apply the proper design corrections where required? God made man
steward
of His creation, not co-creator. In genetic modification of plants and
animals
for food one is fiddling with the Creator's design in order to find a
quick fix
to a well entrenched problem that we really do not wish to face:
mismanagement
of the environment. Care for the environment has always been considered
as a
financial burden. Genetic engineering on the other hand promises big
bucks for
those in the business.

Sure we are intelligent and able to engineer wonderful things. But in
cases
such as genetic engineering, rarely do we know the full extent of our
actions.
The papal "prudent yes" is ludicrous. It is like saying to someone who
wants to
climb a volcano in the process of re-ignition: "All right but be
prudent". What
does prudence really mean in a case when one is not in full control?

Speaking as someone who was part of the catholic church for 45 years and
also as
one who has been watching it closely for the past 8 years since leaving
that
church in order to join a Bible-beliving church, I offer the following
caveat.
When trying to assess Vatican statements, especially those having
scientific
implications, 20/20 hindsight is required. A few hundred years ago the
Vatican
tried to impose its authority in the domain of Natural Sciences with a
litteral
application of biblical verses. The Vatican was proven wrong and was
forced to
step back. But the Vatican has a very long memory...and the memory is
still
painful. The best solution it has come up with to clean up its image is
to suck
up to the scientific community. It has its reasons for doing that. But
unfortunately those reasons have nothing to do with the advancement of
the
Kingdom of God. My only reason for airing this opinion on this
web-site, is
that ASA is supposed to be largely comprised of Christians involved in
the
physical sciences.