Re: [Fwd: Re: Two Times]

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:02:01 -0500

George Andrews Jr. wrote:
> The physicist that I hang with do not question the speed of light's constancy; only
> its value to the n'th place. In the past, measurement techniques were cruder and
> therefore gave different values. Such is progress.
>
> The speed of an EM wave in a vacuum is a consequence of Maxwell's theory of
> radiation and independent of observer or measurement. .........................
But we can only place non-zero observational upper linmits on the rest mass
of the photon: It might have a Compton wavelength on the order of 1000 LY, so that c
(the speed which is unchanged by a Lorentz transformation) wouldn't be "the speed of
light". EM fields then wouldn't obey Maxwell's equations but those of Proca. This
wouldn't do the YECs any good though.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy