Re: Two Times

Bert Massie (mrlab@ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 18:15:14 -0800

Starkja@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/19/1999 8:00:48 PM, you wrote:
>
> <<A Tale of Two Physisists:
>
> For those on this line who have it all figured out, I would like to pose
> a question.
>
> Consider that God put two physicists into the Universe about 100,000
> years after the beginning according to the Big Bang cosmology. These
> physicists have identical clocks on them and are immune to the insults
> of radiation, gravity gradients, and the lack of a Journal to publish
> in. By some means their clocks are synchronized and set at zero. One
> happens to be located at a point in space which eventually becomes a
> very massive neutron star. The other happens to be at a point which
> becomes intergalactic space. By some further means we at current epoch
> read their clocks (I will ignore the consequence of how this comes
> about.) The neutron star physicist states that his clock has elapsed
> 400,000 years and the intergalactic physicist says his has elapsed
> 10,000,000,000 years. Again, I ignore the details.
>
> Please integrate this result with Genesis..
>
> Bert M.
>
> </XMP>

Jim

Yes we cannot for certainly know the past because we cannot perform an experiment
on the past. Thus, only laws are testable not past events.

However, we believe in interpretations of past events becuase of current
observations and prior experiences. The medical examiner believes the body is
only a certain time since death based on prior knowledge of the rate of
temperature drop after death.

The Big Bang theory fits a lot of observables. That is it predicts the element
abundances etc. There are problems and everything does not fit so likely the
basic theory will survive but in a highly modified form.

Thus, I would urge that you accept that well tested theories such as General
Relatively (really a theory about gravity) can be projected backwards. This is
not science fiction but scientific projections based on a lot of observations.

Coming up we have the Next Generation Telescope (NGT) to be followed by OPTIMA.
These NASA telescopes, which I have had the opportunty to contribute to, will
assist cosmologist to really get that information they need to understand
origins. In particular, the infrared images of distinct and highly red shifted
objects whose light left them shortly after the BB. Already hints of
observations are consistent with the generally viewed cosmological models.

Bert M