Re: Time

glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 16:45:57 +0000

At 03:08 PM 12/18/99 -0700, dfsiemensjr@juno.com wrote:

>But there is a problem with the days of Genesis 1, if we approach them
>from what I understand Glenn's view to involve. If the week presents
>God's declaration of purpose, and chapter 2 the sequence of creation,
>then the days have to somehow refer to divine time. But how can there be
>time of any sort with the I AM, who, as Creator is outside of space and
>time? I see this as a reductio ad absurdum of the notion.

A couple of corrections. I don't claim as Bert does that God is speaking
to us of time. Nor do I claim, like Bert, that there is an 'absolute' time.
I believe that the days in Genesis 1 are the best way mankind has to speak
of the unspeakable--that which occurred PRIOR to time. How do we describe
what God did and the sequence in which he did it prior to time? Obviously
we must use some imagery that is familiar to us. Does that make the days
imaginary? No, they represent real events in the pre-temporal universe--of
course they are a poor description of such time.

Second correction, Chapter 2 is NOT the sequence of creation it is only of
the creation of Man! The details of the creation of the other animals
simply isn't given in Scripture--only the planning of them outlined in
Genesis 1.

It would be best if you didn't conflate two different views as if they are
one--mine and Bert's. I can assure you that the two views are quite
separate! And it is a bit frustrating to have the views of others ascribed
to me!

glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology