Re: ASA membership, Nelson and Wells.

SteamDoc@aol.com
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:20:19 EST

In a message dated 12/9/99 9:51:55 PM Mountain Standard Time,
mortongr@flash.net writes:

> It very well might be that Wells isn't a member of the ASA. After I
> questioned whether or not Paul Nelson was a member, someone said he was in
> the membership directory. I questioned Paul's membership based upon what
> he, himself, had told me about his refusal to sign statement's of faith.
>
> After I posted that, Paul wrote me and said that he wasn't a member of the
> ASA. He said he was a friend of the ASA, whatever that is. While I don't
> have the membership directory, to look at it, it might be that Wells is in
> the same situation--in the directory when he isn't a member.

As Gordon Brown originally pointed out, and I just confirmed, Jonathan Wells
is listed in the 1997-1999 directory as a "Full Member". This requires
signing the Statement of Faith. While I don't know that much about the
Unification Church, I think the Statement of Faith is not something a Moonie
could honestly agree to (or else it needs to be tightened). There is a
"Friend of the ASA" (nonvoting) category for people who are interested in
ASA's work but don't want to sign the statement of faith; that is the
category Wells legitimately could be in.
So unless that entry in the directory is a misprint, it appears Wells
misrepresented himself.

Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
"Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"