Re: Fable telling

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 07:51:01 -0400

mortongr@flash.net wrote:

> Thanks Bill, for the, as usual, thoughtful analysis. I would make one
> correction to the view that many have of apologetics. I have never thought
> it was an evangelism tool. It is, as you note(but don't quite say), a
> discipleship tool. It is something that is useful to maintain belief rather
> than initiate belief.

Education as a discipleship tool is certainly important but this has
not, through Christian history, been what "aplogetics" has meant. "In the history of
Christian theology, this [apologetics] means the defence, by argument, of Christian
belief against external criticism or against other world views." (_The Westminster
Dictionary of Christian Theology_, s.v. "Apologetics".) The writings of the 2d century
"apologists" like Justin Martyr, e.g., are directed against Greco-Roman paganism &/or
Jewish opposition to Christianity, with the intent of showing the superiority of
Christianity to those systems.
Of course such arguments can also function to preserve the faith of recent
converts who might be tempted to return to their old beliefs. But that isn't the
primary task of apologetics _qua_ apologetics. E.g., the 1st & 2d apologies of Justin
are addressed formally to the emperor Antoninus Pius & the Roman senate respectively,
indicating where the primary thrust of the arguments is directed.
There will be considerable commonality between what is discussed in apologetics
and in education of Christians but the standpoints are quite different. For Christians
the task is precisely "faith in search of understanding" rather than the other way
around, & this will affect how issues like historicity are dealt with.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com