Re: Big Bang dissent

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:04:40 -0400

Bill Payne wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:53:25 -0400 George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
> writes:
>
> > IF for some reason there were a "quantization" in cluster
> >distances then the
> >quantization in redshifts would be smeared out due to 3). & the same
> >thing could be
> >extended to superclusters. Thus we wouldn't expect to see nice sharp
> >steps in redshift.
> >But I can hardly emphasize the IF strongly enough. I can think of
> >some ad hoc
> >mechanisms for such a quantization but I don't believe them.
>
> Just to clarify, please George, then I assume you do believe there are
> "walls" of galaxies separated by vast areas of empty space, as inferred
> from red shifts assumed to be the result of Doppler effect?

No, you should not assume that. I was speaking purely as a theorist &
pointing out that even if there were some basic basic physics leading to quantization
of redshifts we should expect redshifts in the real universe to be smeared out to
some extent around those quantized values.

> Have you read _Seeing Red_ by Arp? If so, do you accept Arp's
> interpretation of quasars being ejected from galaxies? If not, how do
> you explain the disturbances he shows in the galaxies which apparently
> were formed by the quasar as it ripped through the structure of the
> galaxy?

I haven't read this & haven't looked at the observational material in any
detail since the book I cited earlier by Arp et al in the early 70s. I don't think
Arp's arguments have changed significantly since then, while there has been a good
deal of data (gravitational lensing of quasar images, absorption by intervening
intergalactic material) which strengthens the case for the "orthodox" view of quasars.
This suggests that even if Arp's interpretation of some quasar-galaxy associations were
correct, it would mean that there were some things going on in addition to - not in
place of - the standard big bang scenario.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com