Re: two more things for Paul

Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 21:13:09 -0600

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 06:05:35 +0000 mortongr@flash.net writes:

>There are only 2 mentions of Jesus outside of religious documents. One
>is
>Josephus which says he was a teacher and Christ. But there have been
>some
>suggestions that this was a later addition to his manuscript. The
>other was
>by Tacitus and he was condemnatory of the whole thing.

According to Josh McDowell's _Evidence that Demands a Verdict_, Julian
the Apostate wrote (~ 300 A.D.) that Jesus was nobody great, unless one
considers it noteworthy that he healed a few lame and blind people and
exorcised a few demoniacs in the villages of Bethany and Bethsadia. (~
page 126) It struck my agnostic mind that if one trying to discredit
Christianity still assented to the miracles of Jesus, then there must be
something more to the Bible than mythology. Julian's statement became
the pivot point of my life.

Bill