Re: PJ and Saganism

John W. Burgeson (johnburgeson@juno.com)
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:25:28 -0600

A long time ago (August), I wrote to George Murphy:

>Where Terry Gray, and Glenn Morton, and you (I think) and George Murphy
>part company with me is, I think, in your position that the TE position
>is the ONLY possibility and that the very idea of a God "leaving his
>fingerprints" is, somehow, a very bad idea to contemplate or give any
>credence to at all.

Glenn Morton commented as follows:

I would have to let the others speak for themselves but as for me I think
God leaving fingerprints is a great idea. I am being criticized
constantly
for wanting evidence of the activities spoken of in the Bible. That
evidence is evidence of God's fingerprints. However when it comes to
life,
I don't think God left his fingerprints where anti-evolutionists think He
did. And I don't see anyway of detecting the progressive creationist
fingerprints either. So if I can't detect them with PC, I might as well
be
an evolutionist because as near as I can see all PC does is add an
untestable assumption to evolution.

Sorry for being away for awhile -- I think I understand where you are
coming from. But -- (always a 'But!") you say:

" And I don't see anyway of detecting the progressive creationist
fingerprints either."

The fact that YOU don't see a way is not a very strong argument, of
course. Would you agree that PJ and Demski at least thing they can see a
way?

Then you say:

"So if I can't detect them with PC, I might as well be
an evolutionist because as near as I can see all PC does is add an
untestable assumption to evolution."

Again, not a strong argument. IMHO.

As I see it, to be a PC is, at least today, a philosophical position, not
a scientific one. I am, of course, a PC. It cannot, by my understanding
of "proper" science, be a scientific position.

I am not one of those who sees philosophy as being "2nd class" wrt
science, of course. Just different.

Good to be back -- grandchild #6 arrived in good health and al that!

Burgy