Re: Mediterranean flood

mortongr@flash.net
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:47:05 +0000

At 08:21 AM 10/14/1999 EDT, RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/13/1999 9:00:07 PM, Glenn wrote:
>
><< A note on the above: This certainly was NOT a barren environment--a
>hell-hole in which Adam and Eve could not survive! They would have done
>well in such a place and given the desert all around, the river edges would
>certainly appear as a paradise or a garden as the word Eden implies.
>
>[snip]
>
>Hope this helps.>>
>
>Glenn,
>
>Yes, it does. It raises more questions, which it should do, of course. Here
>are two.
>
>The animals you identified in the strata of the basin seem to be primarily
>marine species, aside from the land turtle and some insects. Were
vertebrate
>fossils found that you did not report? How does his square with the account
>of Adam naming the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, the cattle,
and
>every living thing. Where are the fossils of these vertebrates and
mammals?

Because elephants and hippos were found on Cyprus after the in filling, we
KNOW that they were there also. While elephants are good swimmers, they
couldn't have swum several hundred miles.

As to other fossils of vertebrates, we only have a very few places where we
can look. Some parts of the former ocean floor have been uplifted (the
article I cited studied one area.) The rest of the area is now,
unfortunately on the bottom of the Mediterranean buried under some
thickness of sediment and thus it is not possible at present to get a
detailed samples. However, given the fact that the largest herbivorous
vertebrates were demonstrably down in the valley at that time, it is not
unreasonable to expect that other animals were there also, including
carnivores. The Nile River at that time acted like a one-way gate. There
was a region along the Nile which according to modern drilling records fell
1500 meters in a 1.4 mile distance. It would have been a heck of a
whitewater rafting run! That drop would allow animals to go down, but
probably not go back upstream. Thus any animal that went north was probably
then forced to figure out how to survive in the basin.

>In the time between Adam and Eve on the one hand, and Noah on the other,
many
>artifacts of civilization and culture should have been scattered along the
>verdant rivers. But you reported none. Also some animals higher on the
food
>chain than marine life would be needed to support this early human life. Do
>you ever expect to have such artifacts of civilization show up? If not,
then
>its seems to me that the fossil evidence so far found fails to support your
>theory of the Mediterranean basin as the origination site of the human
>species.

This is the biggest unfulfilled prediction of my view. The difficulty is
the same as with the animals. If one choses to reject the possibility of
my view because I can't prove it, then that is the way the cookie crumbles.
If I could prove this one single point, I would be the most celebrated
apologist ever--but I can't.

I will tell you some other predictions of my views which have a greater
chance of being confirmed. First, I do believe that the Genus Homo will
eventually be found much further back in time than the current 2.4 myr. I
would not say that it will be found back to 5.5 as that would be very
unlikely if my views are correct. There would be too few people for
fossilization to be likely.

I will also predict that the earliest stone tools will eventually be
pushed back to 3 million years from the now current 2.6 myr.

Why do I make those predictions? because that is the history of anthro. In
1955, the oldest members of our genus was dated at 500 kyr. Today as I
said,they are 2.4 myr. In 1988 the oldest known stone tools were around 2
myr, today they are much older. Even the cranial capacity of many of the
more ancient hominids are now within modern ranges because of new
discoveries. Some day I will do a historic time line of the discoveries in
anthropology.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology