Re: The Torah Codes, Cracked OK, so maybe God didn't write the

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:26:13 -0400

At 08:33 PM 10/8/99 +0000, mortongr@flash.net wrote:
>At 09:10 AM 10/08/1999 -0400, Moorad Alexanian wrote:
>
>>By Benjamin Wittes
>>Benjamin Wittes is an editorial writer for the Washington Post. Posted
>>Wednesday, Oct. 6, 1999, at 4:30 p.m. PT
>> The names of medieval rabbis
>>are not fixed in the way that modern names are; the great rabbi Moses Ben
>>Maimon, for example, is often called Maimonides or the Rambam.
>
>Because I am a fan of Ramban, I must protest this reporters
>misrepresentation of Ramban. Ramban was named Moshe ben Nachman or
>Nachmanides. Maimonides was an entirely different person. I can hear my
>Jewish friends saying, "Only a gentile could make such a mistake." :-)
>glenn

he said Rambam, not Ramban. My understanding is that the well-known
medieval rabbis had nicknames made by contracting their full names, and are
still known by those names today. I have heard of Rambam before. I'm not
as sure that it refers to Maimonides.
Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
Staff Research Engineer
Electrical and Controls Integration MC 480-106-390
GM R&D Center
30500 Mound Road
Warren, MI
hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com / whamilto@mich.com (home)