Re: Mediterranean Flood

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 07:48:25 -0400

mortongr@flash.net wrote:

> At 05:47 AM 10/08/1999 EDT, RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:
> >
> >Glenn,
> >
> >In a message dated 10/7/1999 your wrote:
> >
> ><< At 06:42 AM 10/07/1999 EDT, RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:
> >>Glenn,
> >>
> >>You didn't answer George's question. You described the putative selection
> >>process at comes after increase in brain size. Autocatalysis, however,
> >>refers to the internal biological process that produces variability.
> >
> >I thought I did answer the question. INtelligence is in general correlated
> >to brain size (when considering mammals as a whole not people alone). So
> >the selection does not start AFTER the brain has already increased in size.
> > >>

> >Well, you still didn't answer George's question. Speaking of autocatalysis,
> >he asked "But does the word here mean anything more than 'we don't know the
> >mechanism'?" The answer to that question is, we don't know the mechanism
> >that produced increase in brain size, and using the word "autocatalysis" as
> >the mechanism is merely a speculative hypothesis.
> >
> > Do you know of any biological mechanism that produced increase in brain
> >size? It can't be selection. Obviously, selection is not a biological
> >mechanisms. Despite what you say, selection DOES COME AFTER there is
> >something to select for, in this case increasing brain size.
>
> Brain size and intelligence varies among individuals of every species so
> there is something to select from. But I think you are getting into
> semantics here. George, if you think I didn't answer your question, then
> speak up. Otherwise, I will leave the semantics to others.

I thought the first exchanges were helpful in sorting things out a bit.
In general -
1) I think Bob is right that the word "autocatalysis" is at least being used
in a very broad & metaphorical sense here. For it to be used strictly it would have to
mean something like increased brain size producing more of some kind of chemical which
would lead to greater brain size, & it's hard to see how that could work. (Central
dogma & all that.)
2) If increased brain size means increased intelligence, & if greater
intelligence leads (statistically) to choice of mates with greater intelligence & thus
(statistically) greater brain size, so that offspring will have greater brain size -
then in a broad sense increased brain size does have an autocatalytic effect. In
that sense I think Glenn's argument is valid.
3) Going beyond that a bit - the phenomenon of intelligence introduces a
Lamarckian aspect to evolution because education means that _cultural_ evolution does
have precisely the character of "transmission of acquired characters." Whether that
means an actual increase in intelligence is another matter: Undergrads today can learn
general relativity but that doesn't mean they're intrinsically smarter than Galileo or
Newton, or even Aristotle.
4) Returning to the original question: It is, as Glenn says, largely a matter
of semantics. But I think it's an important matter of semantics because autocatalysis
in the narrow sense Bob noted (& which I originally had in mind) _may_ play a very
important role in chemical evolution, which is such an important issue that it's worth
keeping the term as precise as possible.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com