Re: Mediterranean Flood

mortongr@flash.net
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 05:51:40 +0000

At 05:47 AM 10/08/1999 EDT, RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:

>Glenn,
>
>In a message dated 10/7/1999 your wrote:
>
><< At 06:42 AM 10/07/1999 EDT, RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:
>>Glenn,
>>
>>You didn't answer George's question. You described the putative selection
>>process at comes after increase in brain size. Autocatalysis, however,
>>refers to the internal biological process that produces variability.
>
>I thought I did answer the question. INtelligence is in general correlated
>to brain size (when considering mammals as a whole not people alone). So
>the selection does not start AFTER the brain has already increased in size.
> >>

>Well, you still didn't answer George's question. Speaking of autocatalysis,
>he asked "But does the word here mean anything more than 'we don't know the
>mechanism'?" The answer to that question is, we don't know the mechanism
>that produced increase in brain size, and using the word "autocatalysis" as
>the mechanism is merely a speculative hypothesis.
>
> Do you know of any biological mechanism that produced increase in brain
>size? It can't be selection. Obviously, selection is not a biological
>mechanisms. Despite what you say, selection DOES COME AFTER there is
>something to select for, in this case increasing brain size.

Brain size and intelligence varies among individuals of every species so
there is something to select from. But I think you are getting into
semantics here. George, if you think I didn't answer your question, then
speak up. Otherwise, I will leave the semantics to others.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm