Re: Mediterranean Flood

Gary Collins (gary.collins@etluk.ericsson.se)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 09:01:37 +0100

mortongr@flash.net wrote:

> At 09:24 AM 10/07/1999 -0500, John_R_Zimmer@rush.edu wrote:

[...]

> >First, could the names of Tigris and Euphrates rivers be applied to
> >rivers flowing about 6 My ago into the dry Mediterranean basin? I
> >say no - first - because no one at the time could name them the
> >Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. Also, I say no because we have always
> >historically related the T and E rivers to drainage to the Persian Gulf.
>
> That is a nice job of assuming my views out of existence. Prove that no
> one could have named them! You can believe that no one could name them,
> but you have no actual data to that effect any more than I can point to the
> H. erectus on the Mediterranean sea floor. Secondly, God could easily have
> revealed this information to Moses (or do you think revelation is out of
> the question?).

Also, the names given to the rivers by the author will be the names which his
readers would have understood. If Glenn is right about the events being much
earlier, there is no requirement that the people of that earlier time must have
used the same names. For example, history books today may talk of the invasion of
England (or Britain) by the Romans in 55 BC (or whenever it was; history has
never been one of my strong points :-) ), but the inhabitants then almost
certainly didn't refer to the region as England (or Britain).

/Gary

--

English irregular verbs: I give a confidential press briefing. You leak. He is charged under Section 2a of the Official Secrets Act. -- Yes Prime Minister