Re: Black Sea flood

mortongr@flash.net
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 22:40:22 +0000

At 01:33 PM 10/07/1999 -0400, Bill Hamilton wrote:
>Glenn rejects the Black Sea flood as a candidate for Noah's flood because
>the rate of rise of the water was too slow. (Also I suspect that such a
>flood would not have been anthropolgically universal is a consideration,
>but I want to discuss one issue at a time) I haven't read the book "Noah's
>Flood" but I remember in quotations from it that, even though the rate of
>rise wasn't great, that the velocity of the water was quite high -- perhaps
>high enough to have carried away large numbers of people to deeper water
>where they drowned. That sort of phenomenon could have given rise to flood
>accounts -- possibly like the account in Genesis. I'm not taking sides in
>this because I don't have any special knowledge or expertise. But it seems
>to me this possibility is worth discussing.

Right at the mouth of the Bosphorus, which in that time flowed west, you
are correct that the flow would have wiped out whatever lay below the
opening. And for that very local area, it would have been catastrophic.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm