Re: Year of Destiny?!

gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:02:26 -0600 (MDT)

Vernon,

The numerical properties of the number 5760 are very interesting, but so
is the fact that today is 9/9/99. Why should anyone use the properties of
5760 to suggest that it will be a year of destiny? If one tries hard
enough, one could take the number for any other year and find some sort of
interesting but unususal mathematical properties for it and then claim
that that year should therefore be a year of destiny. What events happened
in the other years whose numbers were ten times a perfect square that
distinguished them from all other years? Why should this method of
prediction be any more credible than astrology, which it resembles?

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395