Re: Geology and the Bible

gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:59:50 -0600 (MDT)

I would like to add to Bill Hamilton's point about Rom. 5:12 that
Hitchcock's quotation of I Cor. 15:21 is also incomplete. It goes on to
say "By a man also came the resurrection of the dead." Surely this refers
to the resurrection of men, not of `inferior animals'.

In the earlier part of this century it seems to have been considered all
right for evangelicals to believe in the death of animals before the fall
of Adam. For example, C. I. Scofield in the notes to his widely used
reference Bible endorses the gap theory, in which the animals of the
original creation were destroyed by the fall of Satan.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395