Death before the Fall

mortongr@flash.net
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:21:56 +0000

Sorry for the length of this. I have been carrying on a long private
e-mail discussion with a young-earth creationist. He asked if I could post
the entire exchange on the list. I know that there are young-earthers here
as well as old-earthers. Ross is a pediatrician and a fine Christian with
whom I disagree strongly (course he disagrees with me as does George, Allen
and partly, Bill).
This will be interesting for some of you who don't deal with young-earthers
very much.
Ross, you can see this in archive form at:
http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199908/date.html#start

or ask me and I will tell you how to subscribe and get the e-mail directly.
Ross the only thing I will do is cut my original post (Which started our
exchange), which has already been posted to this list and can be found at
http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/199908/0024.html
Anyone who hasn't read it should do so at that address.

glenn
****

> [...]
>To: mortongr <mortongr@flash.net>
>A1-type: MAIL
>
> 8/12/99
>
>Glenn,
>
>The death of cells in development or in carrying out their function --
such as
>skin cells that are constantly shed -- is not qualitatively the same as a net
>loss of cells. If I sunburn, being of a pale heritage and unsuited for
exposure
>to solar radiation, I shed faster but do not invariably have a net loss of
skin
>leading to denudation and death. (The pigment deficit represents loss of
>information and the intensity of certain parts of the solar spectrum may
>represent deterioration of the original design.) Of course, I may damage
some
>of the epithelial or pigment cells which later causes them to lose control
and
>become malignant. But there is an essential difference between skin cells
>falling off one by one as they are replaced by the growing layer and heart
cells
>dieing off one by one leading to pump failure.
>
>Renewal of the body by replacement of components is like the difference
between
>an oil change and a blown engine -- yes, if the oil is not changed, the
engine
>will go. But I can picture a physical universe in which God allowed
dependence
>on maintenance to teach us discipline (with air and food to symbolize
prayer
>and His Word) and yet made it possible for the physical body, though
vulnerable,
>to continue undiminished for indeterminate time. God can create a perpetual
>motion machine if He wants. To quote a famous philosopher, "Are you
telling me
>God can't do that?"
>
>The connection between abortion/euthanasia and evolution is survival of the
>fittest. I asked about aborting defective babies. If they are allowed to
live,
>wouldn't that dilute the gene pool with abnormal/inferior genes? And even
if it
>is just that the mother doesn't want the child, perhaps that represents a
faulty
>gene for maternal bonding in her make-up that needs to be eliminated.
>
>And even though Alzheimers patients have already reproduced if they are going
>to, they are using up resources and habitat needed for the more fit. And
even
>if a bunch of normals are eliminated with the abnormal, that's the way
evolution
>allegedly worked in the geologic past with asteroid impacts destroying the
good
>the bad and the indifferent. And, supposedly evolution always geared up to
>fill the gaps with something even better.

My reply to Ross which he just got tonight is:

At 09:49 AM 08/12/1999 -0500, Ross Olson wrote:
> 8/12/99
>
>Glenn,
>
>The death of cells in development or in carrying out their function --
such as
>skin cells that are constantly shed -- is not qualitatively the same as a net
>loss of cells. If I sunburn, being of a pale heritage and unsuited for
exposure
>to solar radiation, I shed faster but do not invariably have a net loss of
skin
>leading to denudation and death. (The pigment deficit represents loss of
>information and the intensity of certain parts of the solar spectrum may
>represent deterioration of the original design.) Of course, I may damage
some
>of the epithelial or pigment cells which later causes them to lose control
and
>become malignant. But there is an essential difference between skin cells
>falling off one by one as they are replaced by the growing layer and heart
cells
>dieing off one by one leading to pump failure.

Raises an interesting question. Could Adam and Eve be sunburned and thus
kill a few skin cells. Why were they killed? Because there was serious
damage to them, often to their genetic code. The damage to skin cells
today causes melanoma. Could Adam have gotten melanoma if he hadn't
sinned? Could he sunburn if he hadn't sinned.

>Renewal of the body by replacement of components is like the difference
between
>an oil change and a blown engine -- yes, if the oil is not changed, the
engine
>will go.

Not for long. My son ruined a car engine because he failed to take my
advice to change the oil! The car died.

But I can picture a physical universe in which God allowed dependence
>on maintenance to teach us discipline (with air and food to symbolize
prayer
>and His Word) and yet made it possible for the physical body, though
vulnerable,
>to continue undiminished for indeterminate time. God can create a perpetual
>motion machine if He wants. To quote a famous philosopher, "Are you
telling me
>God can't do that?"

No I am not telling you God can't do that. I am telling you that there is
no evidence (including Biblical evidence ) that he did that.

>The connection between abortion/euthanasia and evolution is survival of the
>fittest. I asked about aborting defective babies. If they are allowed to
live,
>wouldn't that dilute the gene pool with abnormal/inferior genes? And even
if it
>is just that the mother doesn't want the child, perhaps that represents a
faulty
>gene for maternal bonding in her make-up that needs to be eliminated.
>
>And even though Alzheimers patients have already reproduced if they are going
>to, they are using up resources and habitat needed for the more fit. And
even
>if a bunch of normals are eliminated with the abnormal, that's the way
evolution
>allegedly worked in the geologic past with asteroid impacts destroying the
good
>the bad and the indifferent. And, supposedly evolution always geared up to
>fill the gaps with something even better.

Look at evolution as God's means to create a biosphere that is
self-regulating. By the way, God created the mutator genes which most
cells have. And these are beneficial because they occasionally give rise
to a form that is immune to the latest antibiotic.