Re: How old is language?

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 17:27:26 -0400

Glenn, you wrote:

>If language, a very human activity has been around for even 80,000 years,
>then Christian apologetics needs a major revision.

Not to be contrary, but the Japanese islands were settled not more than 10,000
years ago (not including the Ainu), and the Japanese language is totally
unrelated
to any of the Chinese dialects, even though the Japanese people are obviously
related to the Chinese. So I would guess that among these peoples, language
goes back no further than about 10,000 years. And written language goes back
the Sumerians who can be traced no further than about 6,000 years ago. So
"80,000 years" sounds way out of the ball park.

Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."