Re: the ascension

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:46:25 -0400

andrew wrote:

> Hi list,
> The new testament description of Christ going up to heaven after his
> resurrection seems hard to me. Heaven is not up so why make your
> people think so? I would like to hear how others look at this as I
> suspect I am just missing something.
> Andrew

1) To begin with, the picture makes use of the common "3 decker" cosmology
of the biblical writers and their audience, in which heaven is "up". Even when no
picture is involved, the same language is used - e.g., the Nicene Creed's "he came down
from heaven." I don't think we need to be embarassed by this any more than by the
"firmament" on Gen.1.
2) The "cloud" of Acts 1:9 is not simply a fleecy mass of water vapor. It's
the "cloud" which covered Sinai (Ex. 24:16-17) & filled the Temple (I Kg.10-11), the
cloud from which the voice of God comes at the Transfiguration - i.e., the presence of
God.
3) The Ascension of Christ terminates in his "Session" - i.e., sitting "at the
right hand of the Father" (e.g., Eph.1:20). & as Eph.1:23 & especially 4:10 ("He who
descended is he who also ascended far above all heavens, that he might fill all things")
makes clear, this session does not mean being limited to a particular place in a
localized heaven. It means that the divine-human Christ is present to the entire
universe. (Cf. Luther, "The right hand of God is everywhere.")
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com