Re: index fossils

Glenn Morton (grmorton@earthlink.net)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:24:34 -0500

Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com) wrote on
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:31:34 -0600 :

>On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:43:10 -0500 "Glenn R. Morton"
><grmorton@waymark.net> writes:
>
>>It is the settling rate of these nannofossils that prevents their
rapid
>>burial. Remember Stokes law for something like a nannofossil requires
>>that it would take up to 51 years for it to fall to the ocean floor.
The
>>flood only lasted one year.

>Why do you say that rapid burial is necessary, and why do the
>nannofossils need to be deposited during the Flood?

Bill, I would disagree with what David Campbell wrote. Rapid burial is
not necessary for the nannofossil UNLESS one believes in a global
flood. The depositional rate in the deep ocean is quite slow today and
the slow rain of dead nannofossils can take a century or a millennium
for all I care. Speciation events occur only once every hundred
thousand years or so. Thus you will have 100 millenniums of the same
species slowly raining down on the ocean floor before it is replaced by
a newly evolved species.

If you think that there was a global flood and you believe that the
geologic column was deposited during that year, then as David Campbell
pointed out, everything in the rocks was also deposited during that
year. That IS rapid sedimentation.

>How would you differentiate between "stress-induced morphological
change"
>and change resulting from evolution? Aren't both supposed to be
gradual?

Document a case of stress-induced, irreversible morpholgical change
among forams, nannoplankton or diatoms. I don't know of any such case.
What article have you seen this in?

>>Believe what you want, Reality only allows certain things to be true
and
>>requires other things to be false.

>Unless God intervenes supernaturally. And the reality you speak of is
>experientially based; since we are all limited in our experiences, then

>we are also limited in our understanding of reality.

This is an argument for solpsism. YOu are saying that we can't know
anything therefore we can believe what we want to. If we really can't
know anything then drinking a bottle of arsenic won't hurt you. We
can't know that it will hurt us and we have a poor understanding of
reality. Do you believe this?

My lawyer advises this disclamer: I don't advise anyone to drink arsenic
as it will kill you. We have a good enough understanding of reality to
KNOW this inspite of what Bill says.