Re: Fish to Amphibian

George Andrews (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:59:52 -0400

--------------7E520E3718FBE2B841E12020

--------------1551F2FCC0F77E1E6A3F618B

Hi Vernon;

Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> Let me take up a few points here:
>
> (1) Regarding 'common sense', wouldn't you agree that the whole Flood
> episode, as you see it, is rather odd? The reason for the event, and
> God's purpose in bringing it about, is clearly put, surely: "... God saw
> that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every
> imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually...And
> the Lord said, I will destroy man from the face of the earth; both man
> and beast, and the creeping thing and the fowls of the air;..." (Gn.6:5,
> 6:7)..."And the waters were exceedingly mighty on the earth, and all the
> high mountains under all the heavens were covered;..." (Gn.7:19). How is
> this judgment to be effected with a flood which is merely local? Why
> have poor Noah build a large ocean-going vessel when he (with his family
> and animals) could have traversed the globe in the time available? We
> are informed that he alone "found grace in the eyes of the Lord."
> (Gn.6:8) No one else! With the exception of the occupants of the Ark,
> the cleansing was therefore total and complete!
>
> In my rejecting the ridiculous notion of a local Flood you might like to
> point out where reason and 'common sense' fail me.

Common sense is in constant flux. Your reasoning is based (as is mine) on
presuppositions. It was perfectly reasonable to argue the world was flat,
when the data sets were limited to human vision and word of mouth. In other
words, what is reasonable and "common sensible" is a function of the data
set possessed. Glenn does a nice job of expanding the data set in his answer
to this post; thus, your conclusions are now not reasonable and do not
adhere to the common sense of the present scientific community of believers
in Christ Jesus.

Sincerely in Christ's Grace;

George

  --------------1551F2FCC0F77E1E6A3F618B-- --------------7E520E3718FBE2B841E12020 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="gandrews.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for George Andrews Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="gandrews.vcf" begin:vcard n:Andrews Jr.;George tel;home:757 565 2890 x-mozilla-html:TRUE org:College of William & Mary;Applied Sciences adr:;;;Williamsburg;VA;23188; version:2.1 email;internet:gandrews@as.wm.edu title:Graduate Student fn:George A. Andrews Jr. end:vcard --------------7E520E3718FBE2B841E12020--