Re: becoming a bird and Genesis

George Andrews (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 07:43:22 -0400

--------------7D0299F0E75A2B25CB692F13

--------------E005103E45E1501CE6D00C3C

Hi Andrew,

You wrote:

> Also I want to talk a bit about Genesis
> from common ground (if it is what I suppose it to be) therefore please lay
> off the inerrancy literal or not debate. It is a good talk just not what I
> am trying to hear about.
> I think I can be most clear if I stick with one point and see what folks
> think. Let's take the bird. Assuming that birds came from dinos through an
> unbroken chain of mothers and it was fairly smooth and gradual and very
> naturaly selecty in general. In light of that where are we forced to stand
> as to design.

If questions regarding the literal, allegorical or mythical nature of Genesis
are forbidden, then we are free to think what we want regarding design or the
lack there of. I do not think these issues are separable, i.e. the concept of
design or its refutation is tied directly to Genesis; for without Genesis, we
would "have no need of that (theistic) hypothesis", (I think Laplace said this
to Napoleon concerning his work in mechanics?)

> I mean
> was there a bird in God's mind before one flew in the sky? Is a bird a goal
> that was meant to be reached? Does not our faith demand that maybe we can't
> rewind and repeat the tape but that the tape had some parameters as to
> where it would run to?

The answer to the first question is simple: yes - by virtue of God's
omniscience (unless you want to believe that God's self limitation precluded
his foreknowledge of created creatures :-) ). When one of my students dropped
a new computer in our lab, he solemnly looked at me and said " it must have
been God's will; it happened!". I think our faith only makes demands on our
Christology and that our science can rewind "the tape" - if by such an analogy
you mean nature's progress. I also think the "parameters" are precisely what
we are discovering through the scientific method; we call them "laws".

> Why can't an adaption be heading some where? Like
> feathers; maybe they had some thermal use but so what? When I am welding
> something I might weld one arm on first and use that arm as a stand to
> raise the project up to finish. The arm was first for a reason. It had use
> in the coming together of the project but in the end I still meant it to be
> an arm not a stand. By comparing to welding I am not trying to move
> intervention in or miracle. Either way is fine. I suspect all is
> intervention anyway. So what is a bird and what is creation?
> Just looking for some fresh ideas here. feel free to ignore it if it bores
> you but if you do post please take it on my assumptions in place as much as
> is possible. Please no debate about the Dino-bird transition's reality that
> is not my point.I want to see how various brothers and sisters look at the
> wonderful coming to be of a bird.
> Andrew

Chance is blind but very creative; random mutations exploring a state space
that is innumerable but finite can and does produce unimaginable (to our minds
at least) diversity and novelty. However, it is the laws of science (and here I
include mathematics) that chance must adhere to; this is selection and produces
the appearance of functionality in that a particular fluctuation had a
landscape that allowed, favored and even amplified its development over sundry
and rival mutations. I am not a biologist, but I'll bet the list of known
biologically functionless features among God's creatures, is long indeed; i.e.
your welding arms, or remnants of it, are present after its purpose has been
served.

In Christ's Grace;
George

  --------------E005103E45E1501CE6D00C3C-- --------------7D0299F0E75A2B25CB692F13 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="gandrews.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for George Andrews Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="gandrews.vcf" begin:vcard n:Andrews Jr.;George tel;home:757 565 2890 x-mozilla-html:TRUE org:College of William & Mary;Applied Sciences adr:;;;Williamsburg;VA;23188; version:2.1 email;internet:gandrews@as.wm.edu title:Graduate Student fn:George A. Andrews Jr. end:vcard --------------7D0299F0E75A2B25CB692F13--