Re: index fossils

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:43:10 -0500

Hi Bill,

You wrote:
>I love it when you tell "Flooders" what _must_ be believed. :-)

Well, anyone can believe anything they want. But if they want to believe
in real things, then there are limits to what can be believed. Remember,
that I was a 'flooder' once. I was a serious flooder. But I was believing
in a fairytale of my own (and ICRs making.) If anyone wants to believe
false things then go ahead. It is a free country.

>I think I asked this before but can't remember how the responses went.
>Why couldn't high stress conditions have caused morphological changes in
>the species, which would then propogate around the oceans? Why couldn't
>these changes have occurred in a relatively short period of time?

It is the settling rate of these nannofossils that prevents their rapid
burial. Remember Stokes law for something like a nannofossil requires that
it would take up to 51 years for it to fall to the ocean floor. The flood
only lasted one year. And there is total separation of morphological form
which would not be the case for stress induced morphological change.
Believe what you want, Reality only allows certain things to be true and
requires other things to be false.

Also,