Re: Reading Behe... Any thoughts?

George Andrews (gandrews@as.wm.edu)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:56:50 -0400

--------------27353BC6A5DFD55E06D21F47

Hello Moorad;

You wrote:

> Dear George,
>
> To derive the notion of wetness from an intermolecular forces, say between
> H2O molecules, is no easy task. What you expect from a theory is much more
> than that and it seems to me that no such theory can give us a mousetrap
> from mere intermolecular forces.
>
> Moorad

The emergent property associated with complex systems does answer your concern.
The example of "wetness" is good in that the presence of a single H2O molecule
on another
macroscopic entity (or even another molecule) would constitute the latter being
"wetted" by physical/chemical
process (van der Waals, etc..). However, to say a single H2O molecule posses
wetness would be problematic; thus
wetness is an emergent property fully understood by natural process.

Evolution of mousetraps is not a problem for nature as such entities as The
Venus Fly trap attest to. :-)

George

--------------27353BC6A5DFD55E06D21F47

begin:vcard
n:Andrews Jr.;George
tel;home:757 565 2890
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:College of William & Mary;Applied Sciences
adr:;;;Williamsburg;VA;23188;
version:2.1
email;internet:gandrews@as.wm.edu
title:Graduate Student