Re: The Genesis Factor

gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:11:30 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> Concerning the rainbow: the phenomenon is essentially the consequence of
> certain physical details built into the Creation - in particular, the
> optical properties of sunlight, the performance of the human retina, and
> the sphericity of airbourne water droplets. Its non-appearance before it
> rained is surely entirely consistent with the information provided in
> these early chapters. As I see it, were it not for the spectre of
> evolution haunting the proceedings, this reading would not be disputed.

Have you looked up the commentaries on this that were made prior to
Darwin's time? (I haven't.) I find that many YEC's automatically assume
that their interpretations of certain passages were never disputed prior
to Darwinian evolution even though it turns out that many of these were
unfamiliar before 1961 (the publication date of Morris's and Whitcomb's
book). It wasn't until several years after 1961 that I heard of the
no-rain-before-the-Flood theory.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado