Re: Coral Growth Rates

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Thu, 27 May 1999 00:03:16 -0400

Ed wrote:

>Wow, Dick. This is brutal and, in my opinion, unfair. I am neither a
Christian
>nor a creationist, but I have had a few exchanges with Art Chadwick both
on this
>list and in private. He may be wrong, and I think he is, but to accuse him of
>lack of respectability, dishonesty and indecency is way off base. Art has
himself
>debunked poor arguments made by his fellow YECs and he deals with the
evidence
>about as honestly as any YEC I have ever known. I think the vitriol you have
>aimed at him is shameful and I think you owe him an apology for it.

Dear Ed,

Why do you speak as a non-Christian? Let's really get our priorities
right. Art and I can carry this argument into eternity. Yes I'm angry.
If we Christians were united in a defensible method of apology we might be
able to persuade one such as you to join our ranks and become committed to
Christ. You could take an eternity to thank us if you liked. But no, we
argue and bicker and leave the way open for you and millions like you to
shun our faith.

Ed, simply put, YEC is an evil deception. Mascarading as conservative
Christian doctrine, its proponents tout a version of earth history that is
tragically laughable. And by their blatant ignorance they make our faith
in Christ laughable to those who are versed in matters of geology,
astrophysics, anthropology, and the like. We have Christian universities,
seminaries, and curriculums for homeschoolers carefully designed to crank
out little Charley McCarthys and Mortimer Snerds that can't be taken
seriously in matters of science, or by implication, matters of faith. And
it's the faith that suffers - my faith, Ed. My Christian faith.

Art teaches at such a place. He teaches a sanitized science made compliant
with their six-day creationism. In case some of the students have
difficulties with reconciling discrepancies between YEC and the real world,
they are so fortunate to have a real geologist on staff who can keep them
in blissful ignorance. And if my retort is gruff, well, so be it. But if
there is to be an apology, let us apologize to you. If we have caused you
to reject the free gift of salvation because of whatever we may have said,
then our words are grievious indeed.

If an apology could bring one such as you to give his life for Christ, I'd
apologize to a thousand Arts, nay a million, tens of millions. There is
nothing nearly so important in the words we put here that can in anyway
compare with one life saved. Your life, Ed.

Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."