Re: Coral Growth Rates

Blaine D. McArthur (bd_mac@pacbell.net)
Wed, 26 May 1999 20:39:13 -0700

>Fivefree@aol.com wrote:
>From lurking on this list I can tell you that nobody I've read on this
>list has a deep intimate relationship knowing the voice and presence of

>the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit (they each have a distinctiveness
>you know).

I understand the substance of what Dick wrote, I agree with the
substance of what he wrote. I believe however, he said it in an
irresponsible and incredibly tactless and uncharitible way. What may
have begun as an attack on another man's opinions and view degenerated
into an attack on the integrity of the man himself. I agree that dick
probably owes Art a PUBLIC apology.

NOW, having said that, I have a bone to pick with you Mr. Jackson.

How do you justify the statement above? You know absolutely NOTHING
about my relation with the Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit. Nor do
you know anything about the spiritual relationships of any of the other
members of this list.

Let me quote for you from C.S. Lewis (or is his theology unacceptable
also?):

"What can you ever really know of other people's souls-of their
temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the
whole of creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is
placed in your hands. If there is a God, you are, in a sense, alone
with Him. You cannot put Him off with speculation about your neighbors
or memories of what you have read in books. What will all that chatter
and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the
anesthetic fog of what we call 'nature' or 'the real world' fades away
and the presense in which you have always stood becomes palpable,
immediate and unavoidable?" (Mere Christianity)

Your statement typifies my biggest complaint about YEC's: Not their
science, but their presumed status as Guardians of the Orthodoxy who sit

in judgement over all other christians. This, I believe borders on
heresy and blasephemy, and I believe that one day they will stand before

the throne of our Creator and answer for their arrogance.

You have no conception of the hours I have spent on my knees before the
Father regarding this whole creation issue. I am a rather fearful man,
and desire fiercely to be accepted by others. And now I find that HE
HAS LEAD ME to accept a position regarding the creation that stands
outside the mainstream. I have sought his comfort numerous times having

endured the barbs and arrows of both unbelieving scoffers at God's word

AND the heartless uncharitable wounds of so-called brother's in Christ.
Brothers who have scorned my position on these matters with a searing
sarcastic vitriol uncharacteristic of a child of God.. No, I do not
enjoy being in the minority position, but then neither did Jeremiah, or
Ezekial; in this I find comfort.

Let me close with one more quote.

"I walked in the sunshine with a scholar who had effectively
forfeited his prospects of academic advancement by clashing with church
dignitaries over the gospel of grace. 'But it doesn't matter,' he said
at length, 'for I've known God and they haven't.' " from Knowing God
by J.I. Packer

I have, and indeed know my god intimately Mr Jackson, and more
significantly, He knows me, and upon THIS is my hope founded.

2000 years ago there was a group of men who were instrumental in nailing

our savior to a cross. They were called Pharisees. They presumed to be

the sole spokemen for God in their day, and would deal harshly with any
who disagreed with them. Quite some time later, a branch of the the
Roman church placed itself in the same position. It was know as the
Inquisition. I will say no more about it, it speaks for itself. Now I
fear the creationist movement is settting itself in this same role.; and

if my statement seems a little dramatic, I suggest you look deep inside
yourself and HUMBLY go before our God and ask Him if you find any of
these tendencies in yourself.

I believe you need to seek forgiveness as seriously as Dick does.

Blaine McArthur