Re: Four Rivers Revisited

Allen Roy (allen@infomagic.com)
Tue, 11 May 1999 22:25:20 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_01BE9BFD.27603440

> From: Steven H. Schimmrich <sschimmr@calvin.edu>
> - I'm not critical of Allan not knowing stuff, we all don't know stuff,
I'm
> critical of him not knowing stuff and then pontificating about it.
Does
> everyone know that Allan leads tours of the Grand Canyon explaining
how it
> all formed during Noah's Flood? This, in my opinion, makes him a
self-styled
> "expert" on geology and thus fair game for criticism. Check out the
web page
> at http://www.tagnet.org/anotherviewpoint/. How on Earth can someone
do these
> types of tours and then regularly admit they're unfamiliar with the
geologic
> literature?

On my web site I identify myself as a rock hound and amateur geologist. I
am primarily a tour guide interpreting the canyon within the Creationary
Catastrophist paradigm based upon current Creationary interpretations.

There are several videos available at Grand Canyon which tell the standard
line on the geology and formation of the Canyon. What famous geologists
tell this compelling story? Lorene Green and Telly Sevalis. These guys
are just actors. How much do these narrators really know about geologic
literature? How come you don't make the same fuss over them? (This is a
rhetorical question.)

I don't mention my tours on this group because advertising is not the
purpose of the group.

> - My criticism may seem harsh but it's because I take YEC very
seriously and
> believe that it has caused a great deal of damage to the Christian
community
> by misleading them about science (sometimes with outright lies) and
by telling
> them that one can't accept certain findings of modern science and
still be a
> Christian. YECs also commonly utilize "creation evangelism" which I
believe to
> be a misguided and indeed dangerous practice ("Hey, the YECs lied to
me about
> science, why should I believe what they told me about Jesus?").

I know many YECs who have the same opinion of the position you take.

> Allan will be back on the list when he talks to the other YECs on their
secret
> mailing list and he gets some good Diagenesis arguments :). (Inside joke)

Actually, I just got back from Northern Arizona University with
"Diagenesis", ed. by McIlreath and Morrow and 'Petrology' by Raymond. So,
far I have not found anything that cannot be interpreted with further
research within a Creationary catastrophist hypothesis.

CRSnet is hardly a secret mailing list. It is for those who hold to the
same philosophy to share and discuss ideas without antagonists. All who
join, agree not to re-post to any other list or person the material from
CRSnet without the permission of the author/s. Someone lied his/her way
onto the list and began re-posting the conversations without permission
from the authors to an assortment of friends -- including our dear
Professor Schimmrich -- with his hearty approval. Those on CRSnet can't
figure why anyone would feel so threatened by our 'secret?' discussions
that they would have to stoop to such underhanded dealings.

statements I have found on the ASAnet (and other lists) always removing all
indications of authorship so those on CRSnet could not identify the
author/s. It was the ideas and statements that were interesting, not who
said them. Since I am the only one from CRSnet to also be on the ASAnet
(except, apparently, for the 'mole'), I could use pseudonyms to identify a
series of exchanges and no one would know who was who. Our Prof recognized
some of his statements in some of the articles smuggled to him and got all
hot and bothered. He didn't like the way he was portrayed, but no one but
himself and myself knew the source of the statements, deliberately obscured
to protect his reputation; not that anyone on CRSnet would care to know who
he was anyway, not to mention his reputation.

Allen

> [...]

CRSnet is hardly a secret mailing list. =  It is for those who hold to the same philosophy to share and = discuss ideas without antagonists.  All who join, agree not to = re-post to any other list or person the material from CRSnet without the = permission of the author/s.  Someone lied his/her way onto the list = and began re-posting the conversations without permission from the = authors to an assortment of friends -- including our dear Professor = Schimmrich -- with his hearty approval.  Those on CRSnet can't = figure why anyone would feel so threatened by our 'secret?' discussions = that they would have to stoop to such underhanded dealings.

From = time to time I have posted to CRSnet some interesting ideas and = statements I have found on the ASAnet (and other lists) always removing = all indications of authorship so those on CRSnet could not identify the = author/s.  It was the ideas and statements that were interesting, = not who said them.  Since I am the only one from CRSnet to also be = on the ASAnet (except, apparently, for the 'mole'), I could use = pseudonyms to identify a series of exchanges and no one would know who = was who.  Our Prof recognized some of his statements in some of the = articles smuggled to him and got all hot and bothered.  He didn't = like the way he was portrayed, but no one but himself and myself knew = the source of the statements, deliberately obscured to protect his = reputation; not that anyone on CRSnet would care to know who he was = anyway, not to mention his reputation.

Allen

------=_NextPart_000_01BE9BFD.27603440--