Re: Life in the Lab -- Fox and the Nobel Prize

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Tue, 11 May 1999 10:23:25 -0400

I agree with you. However, my gut feeling is that I would have certainly
heard about life being created in a test tube if indeed that had been
accomplished. Witness all the stuff non physicists hear about physicists'
accomplishments.

Moorad

-----Original Message-----
From: Stein A. Stromme <Stein.Stromme@mi.uib.no>
To: Moorad Alexanian <alexanian@uncwil.edu>
Cc: Pim van Meurs <entheta@eskimo.com>; Ami Chopine <amka@vcode.com>;
evolution@calvin.edu <evolution@calvin.edu>; asa@calvin.edu <asa@calvin.edu>
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: Life in the Lab -- Fox and the Nobel Prize

[Moorad Alexanian]

| I do not know the literature but I am sure that there are well-known
| scientists who are very critical of the claim that the protocells of
| Fox are alive.
|
| Moorad

I'm not a biologist but have been following this thread with interest.
It seems to me that the ball is on your half, Moorad: you should be
able to produce some names of those well-known scientists. Your "I am
sure" doesn't sound more convincing than Kevin's "I believe that Fox is
right".

All the best,
Stein

--
Stein A. Strømme   ---   Matematisk institutt, Universitetet i Bergen
e-post: stromme@math.uib.no   telefon: 5558 4825   telefax: 5558 9672