Re: Glenn's departure

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:30:55 -0500

--=====================_6201790==_.ALT

Glenn wrote:

>I too believe in facing reality. One thing I know from selling oil deals is
>that if you can't sell the prospect, the market place is telling you
>something. It is telling you that something is wrong with the prospect.
>That applies in the market place of ideas also. I know that I have been
>unable to sell my views and I must be brutally honest with myself. I must
>pay attention to what the market place is telling me.

Fifteen years ago I began a search into this area of apologetics. I worked
on a theory that although Adam must have entered a populated world due
to his late entry, the flood eliminated all pre-Adamites, thus insuring that
through Noah we had a link to the Adam of Genesis. Through Noah's
wife we had a link to the distant path including animal ancestry. This
accounted for what I thought the Bible said, and also for the genetic
markers that ties us to primates. I called it "injection theory."

The Washington Post loved it in 1986. They published it, and put it on the
LA Times - Washington Post news wire and sent it to over 500 newspapers
around the world. It wasn't until I was well into my book project that I
finally
concluded I was dead wrong. The flood also was too late. In other words
most of us are unrelated to Adam of Genesis. That wasn't at all what I
wanted. Bummer.

What followed was a year and a half of apathy. Dropped out of seminary,
stopped attending church. Nearly prayed the prayer of unsalvation. Being
wrong, worse having been published and being wrong, is an extremely
unpleasant experience. But I lived through it.

Then I began to uncover evidence for another method of reconciliation that
works. I resumed seminary classes and finally got my MTS in 1992. I
had been a member of ASA and was encouraged to join this list.

Glenn is right about the historical integrity of Genesis. Oddly, he rejects
all of the historical corroboration. This leaves him with an argument
replete
with rhetoric and passion, but bereft of data. But what he decries he also
exhibits - all talking, no listening.

Listen. Revise your apologetics as required. You'll live through it. I did.

If anyone is interested in my article that was published in Perspectives,
"In Search of the Historical Adam," I still stand behind it, and will happily
email it to you. Please request off list.

Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."