Re: Descendants and Thomas Trap

John W Burgeson (johnwilliamburgeson@juno.com)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:48:30 -0700

I wrote:

> If the unbeliever says, "OK, whoever you are. I am WILLING to listen,
and
> maybe then I'll believe, and maybe then I'll commit to that belief," I
> think nothing particular will happen.

George replied: "I think this last is a bit of an overstatement. "Faith
in search of
understanding" is indeed the correct order, but faith itself grows, &
often begins
with a willingness to be in a situation in which faith becomes possible.
Jesus' use of parables has, among other functions, that of separating
those willing to stick around and listen further even if they don't yet
get it."

Umm. I had to think on this awhile. I think we are both right. As long as
one is willing to listen -- and nothing else, then he is simply
interested (IMHO) in the intellectual content. Sort of like Festus,
perhaps. And I think I'm right as long as the listener keeps that "maybe"
in his thoughts. But you are right in that, in many events, the "maybe"
begins to fade away as the Holy Spirit works on the heart -- not the
mind.

I like your phrase "willingness to be in a situation in which faith
becomes possible."

Burgy

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]