Re: The Thomas Trap

Fivefree@aol.com
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:21:40 EST

If I may reply in a few words to some short statements below.

At 08:14 PM 11/23/98 -0800, Glenn R. Morton wrote:
>At 02:28 PM 11/23/98 EST, PHSEELY@aol.com wrote:
>>Glenn,
>>invalidated the NT documents, you replied:
>><< We know that such a document existed at one time or some document like
>>that.

Where do we know this from? The Romans were very good record keepers, like
businesses and people today. The study of Rome is a hobby of mine, but they
did not keep records of bribes that I have seen as the end of verse 12 below
says. That is stretching it quite a bit.

>> <<Matt 28:11 While the women were on their way, some of the guards went
>into
>> the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened.
>> 12 When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan, they
>> gave the soldiers a large sum of money,
>> 13 telling them, "You are to say, 'His disciples came during the night and
>> stole him away while we were asleep.'
>>
>> <>
>>
>>"The obvious claims of the guards" are obviously not eye-witness accounts
and
>>are, in fact, self-contradictory since people who are asleep see nothing.

This actually cannot be a true statement because verse 12 states that this is
a lie or a concoction on the part of the high priests and elders to cover up
the Resurrection.

Also, nobody has brought up the scripture (I'm doing this from memory)
from the end of Luke where the two disciples are walking together to Emaus and
Jesus joins them. After he walks and listens to them for a while he says(again
form memory) "oh slow of mind and hard of heart to believe all that the
prophets and the law have said" concenring his own death and resurrection. He
rebuked and upbraided them for their unbelief (lack of sensory confirmation).
Later they recall that how they burned inside as Jesus explained from the
Psalms, the Prophets and the Law how he must suffer and die before entering
into his glory. No dry, clinical explanations here. Just a prophetic
scriptural explanation of the greatest event in history brought home by the
presence of the Spirit of God.

JM Jackson