Re: The Thomas Trap

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 09:35:37 -0500 (EST)

At 07:26 PM 11/22/98 -0600, John P. McKiness wrote:
>Moorad,
>
>At 12:05 PM 11/22/98 -0500, you asked in response to George Murphy's comment:
>

>> I ask you, what does being created in the image of God mean?
>>
>>Moorad
>>

>This is an unanswerable question as almost every tradition within
>Christendom has its own answer. Considering the diversity of this group (on
>ASA list), I believe, the only thing we can do is define the term each time
>we use it, or express the concept as we believe it to be without using the
>term, and we can only agree that we will disagree.
>
>Following Luther, I believe that Adam was created in the image of God in his
>innocence, abilities, goodness and relationship to God; he lost the image
>when he sinned; we do not have it presently; Jesus Christ is the type and
>the only bearer of the Image of God now and we can have it again one day
>when we are with Him.
>
>In Him,
>
>John

I remember reading Francis Schaeffer who made a clear distinction between
God the Creator and the whole of creation. There is divide which separates
humans, animals and all from God. However, on the question of personality,
humans and God were on one side of a divide and the rest of
creation--including animals--on the other side. I do have Schaeffer's
Trilogy at home and could be more precise but I am sure most of you know of
his writings. I believe that it is in this sense that I understand being
created in the image of God. We reason, love, etc. just like God does and
contrary to animals. Therefore, there is a discontinuity between animals and
humans that can not be crossed over continuously. It is a bit like the
solid-fluid transition which can traversed by going through a discontinuity
from a solid--with symmetry--to a fluid--with no symmetry. On the other
hand, the gas-fluid transition can be traversed continuously without
crossing a coexistence phase. Herein lies another of my basic problems with
evolutionary theory---another one being the question of the Fall of Man.
There is an underlying symmetry breaking in going from animals to humans.
One may think of all sorts of explanations but they are all lacking, that
is, they are assumptions not proofs.

Take care,

Moorad